Pawpaw info and availability (can we do this?)

A place to discuss all things annona
Mulch

Pawpaw info and availability (can we do this?)

Post by Mulch » 30 Oct 2019, 18:05

These have recently caught my eye (again) after a person on FB posed about their success with the "SunFlower" variety in Chula Vista.

I'm looking around and thinking that some of these might be nice to have around as they seem to not grow very tall and can produce fruit.

Does anyone have info or success with these?
It might be a nice species to introduce locally.

I checked with Andersons and they did have the sunflower variety - although there are others reviewed as being superior in terms of size taste and production.

Lets here it for a North American Native!
"Working from the ground up"

BrianL

Re: Pawpaw info and availability (can we do this?)

Post by BrianL » 31 Oct 2019, 20:36

If you have to start seeds they graft amazingly easily. The graft remains structurally weak for me for a while though so I have to make sure it's physically supported though.

Mulch

Post by Mulch » 01 Nov 2019, 17:31

That shouldn't be a problem

There's a person that I can ask the "sunflower" seeds from.
IF not, there's lots of seeds for offer online that people collect from the wild.

After 90 days of stratification they can be planted.

I'll just need some good wood to stick on top of that.
There's a few cultivars that I'm interested in.

Mulch

Post by Mulch » 09 Dec 2019, 14:56

The problems I'm finding is that the Pawpaw's require some 400 hours of chill time according to the websites.
Zones 9 and below.

We're on the edge of what's officially possible.
Some websites are pegging the plants as being viable up to zone 8

now I've heard that the "sunflower" will fruit here but that's still kinda "if-y"

I've already sent some messages out to different growers and the U of Kentucky test planting people to see if they know or wanna try sending me something to try out.
(wish me luck!)

marklee

Post by marklee » 27 Dec 2019, 17:23

I'm the guy in Chula Vista that got about 8 Sunflower Pawpaws this last season. It was grafted to a large Taylor next to a Sweet Alice. The Sunflower seemed to be self pollinating. I didn't hand pollinate because the graft was only 1 year old. I think we got about 70 chill hours. I did use some Super Bloom fertilizer which may have helped. The time to graft is when the rootstock leaves are about the size of "squirrel ears".
I am stratifying the seeds now for the winter in the fridge. If you already have rootstock you can order budwood from KSU Pawpaw program. Some are patented, but there are plenty to choose from.

The Taylor and Sweet Alice are real tough to fruit even though they produce plenty of flowers.