What's your favorite Avocado Variety?

Talk related to growing and propagating avocados
BrianL

What's your favorite Avocado Variety?

Post by BrianL » 25 Oct 2019, 23:21

The best I've had are John Herd, Reed, and Carmen Hass.

bcossel
Site Admin

Re: What's your favorite Avocado Variety?

Post by bcossel » 26 Oct 2019, 06:29

I'm going to be a bad Californian and admit I don't care for avocados all that much.

anightowl

Post by anightowl » 26 Oct 2019, 22:12

Nooooo! say it ain't so! Are you sure you are a Californian? :lol:
bcossel wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 06:29
I'm going to be a bad Californian and admit I don't care for avocados all that much.
If I give a plant care and water I expect flowers and food in return. 8-)

BrianL

Post by BrianL » 29 Oct 2019, 18:56

I actually didn't like avocado for like 30 years. Some are much better then others.

Oolie

Post by Oolie » 10 Nov 2019, 23:28

Whichever is in season.
Right now it's Fuerte.

As long as they are ripe, I find most any avocado to be excellent, but the unripe ones in the stores I just avoid.

EllenL

Post by EllenL » 14 Nov 2019, 07:28

Ben that is interesting, I have now met three people who don't like avocados. All men, I wonder if it has to do with what you grew up with or maybe there is a genetic preference for foods depending upon how well you can digest them,it would be an interesting study.

We are right now eating some Hass windfall because in the past it has been ripe enough and because it is interesting to see exactly when its edible. Plus I hate to give the squirrels so much of the crop. It's not too bad, but it's a little weird. I chop it up and add to quinoa, onions, garlic, celery, tomato, tamari. I'm waiting for Reed, Ettinger, Marvel, Sharwill, the Bacons are also about to be ripe. Hoping to plant some new ones this year, I have heard that Stewart is a good tasting variety. I liked the "Tal" that the UC had at an avocado tour day. They have more varieties unreleased. It would be fun to have a tasting of unusual varieties. If we ever have a bountiful crop year again it would be fun to gather everyone together to trial them in a group. :P