Favorite Mango Varieties?

Talk related to growing and propagating mangos
Molo

Favorite Mango Varieties?

Post by Molo » 26 Oct 2019, 08:38

Leo Manuel hooked me up with a small grafted mango tree in May. It is Kensington Pride rootstock with something he calls Seedling #1 on one of the branches. KP held some small fruit this year. The taste was sort of piney on the first bite followed by a strong but sweet traditional mango flavor. It was rather fibrous so I'm thinking of grafting something else on the KP branch, maybe one of those Zill types. What are your favorite varieties? I've heard good things about Lemon Meringue.

BrianL

Re: Favorite Mango Varieties?

Post by BrianL » 29 Oct 2019, 19:17

hmm the piney sounds interesting. Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream are popular Zill ones, but there's also newer Zill ones. Some of the regular mangos that some of the mango snobs put down are actually pretty good tree ripened. I've had pretty good Keitt and Kents honestly.

Mulch

Post by Mulch » 30 Oct 2019, 19:41

Molo wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 08:38
Leo Manuel hooked me up with a small grafted mango tree in May. It is Kensington Pride rootstock with something he calls Seedling #1 on one of the branches. KP held some small fruit this year. The taste was sort of piney on the first bite followed by a strong but sweet traditional mango flavor. It was rather fibrous so I'm thinking of grafting something else on the KP branch, maybe one of those Zill types. What are your favorite varieties? I've heard good things about Lemon Meringue.
The Kensington Pride is mentioned as a preferred variety on the Aussie mango boards.... maybe it's an issue with the age of the tree?
"Working from the ground up"

Oolie

Post by Oolie » 10 Nov 2019, 23:04

Though KP is polyembryonic, it can still produce Zygotic seedlings.
Sounds like this is an example of that, as Aussies have said that KP tastes like a Haden without the pine.

Lemon Meringue (LM) is a mango from Myanmar (originally Po Pyu Kalay) brought in by Maurice Kong and renamed by Gary Zill.

I really liked Oro when I tasted it at Tom's place.

Though I have yet to taste it, Venus has impressed many people in SoCal this year. Supposedly it has the parsnip flavor like Maha does towards the skin.