What is your mango tree doing right now?

Talk related to growing and propagating mangos
EllenL

What is your mango tree doing right now?

Post by EllenL » 25 Oct 2019, 17:31

Noticing the Manilla, Keitt, Golden Lady, and Nam Doc Mai are flushing. How are your mango trees growing right now? :P

bcossel
Site Admin

Re: What is your mango tree doing right now?

Post by bcossel » 26 Oct 2019, 06:17

The pineapple mango I got last year just seems to be slowly dying back - not sure what's wrong with it. Everything else is still in pots and will be put in the ground this winter.

Oolie

Post by Oolie » 10 Nov 2019, 22:56

Maha Chanook is pushing mixed bloom and some vegetative flush.
Val-Carrie is pushing mixed bloom.

Lemon Zest is pushing vegetative flushes.
J-12 is pushing vegetative flushes.
Keitt is pushing a vegetative flush.
Oro is swelling buds again, ready to flush.
Coconut Cream is Swelling buds, ready to flush.
Aloha is on it's way, buds are beginning to swell.

The seedling from a seed received from Jim is now almost three years old, and the buds are swollen with what appears to be flowering flush. Excited for this one as the sap has a strong orange smell.

EllenL

Post by EllenL » 14 Nov 2019, 07:02

Wow! :D Sounds like the mangos at Mike's are happy with the conditions! The three year old Keitts are doing great here. We should maybe do some research on where they are doing well and what changes we could make to soil, watering, fertilizer, exposure etc to improve the trees that are not doing so well. I am about to put a bunch in the ground to see if the seedlings can thrive here. Our soil tests show the PH went up to about 7 so the municipal water must be higher this year, will have to get more mulch and biological activity going on to counter that. Even with our high chlorides the eight I have in the ground seem to be responding to the conditions. I noticed one of the Manilla trees had some wind burn on some of the growth tips, but it is growing new tips to replace them. The second one has some tip burn so it's not as peppy. We had some high winds here a few weeks ago. Does yours look like it might be windburn Ben? Or maybe it is something to do with the roots.

Mulch

Post by Mulch » 14 Nov 2019, 16:00

Oro (stringless peach rootstock) and Saigon have both flushed and my Kent and Ataulfo mango seedlings are doing well, one had an aphid attack but that's resolved.
"Working from the ground up"

Oolie

Post by Oolie » 10 Feb 2020, 11:06

The mangoes haven't been enjoying the cold weather nearly as much as I have.

I lost Creme Brulee, Shamsul Asamar, Oro, and several branches from Maha Chanook.

Alphonso on the other hand is looking better than ever, sending out tons of leaves.

It seems that allowing the horse manure to get too close to the trunks is causing all of this dieback, I will be extra careful in the future.