Got Root stock?

A place to discuss all things citrus
Mulch

Got Root stock?

Post by Mulch » 30 Oct 2019, 18:00

I'm looking for some decent root stock that is suitable for grafting.
My neighbor has a dwarf lemon tree that I'd like to graft onto something.

1-2 gallon sizes should be fine

Will trade :D
"Working from the ground up"

Molo

Re: Got Root stock?

Post by Molo » 04 Nov 2019, 15:41

I'm pretty sure the club has some at Bancroft center. There was a big freakout at the Fall plant sale because citrus had been put out to be sold and we can't sell citrus. There were about 5 plants at the sale that could not be sold and we had to hide them in the library.

BrianL

Post by BrianL » 07 Nov 2019, 00:30

It's very likely that lemon is only dwarf because of the rootstock it's on. The easiest thing though is to just buy any citrus as cheap as possible and graft on it. Most citrus are compatible with each other with a few exceptions I don't remember.

Oolie

Post by Oolie » 10 Nov 2019, 23:20

Lemons that I've witnessed have been very vigorous except for Meyer.
So it's probably a rootstock induced dwarfism though polyploidy can't be ruled out without a microscope.

I've been on the hunt for citrus rootstock as well, though it seems most popular citrus rootstocks are nucellar, and planting a seed has a high probability of probability of producing a clone of the parent.

Mulch

Post by Mulch » 14 Nov 2019, 17:14

BrianL wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 00:30
It's very likely that lemon is only dwarf because of the rootstock it's on. The easiest thing though is to just buy any citrus as cheap as possible and graft on it. Most citrus are compatible with each other with a few exceptions I don't remember.
Nawh, there's a clear graft and there's two different critrus varieties growing there.
IF I can I'll germinate some on my end and save the money.
"Working from the ground up"